Legal Metrology: Brief Overview
The act specifies weighing and measuring standards, instruments, units & mandatory requirements with an objective to ensure accuracy and security of weights and measurements.
Implemented with effect from 1st April 2011, the Legal Metrology Act was enacted with the objectives to establish and enforce standards of weights and measures, regulate trade and commerce in weights, measures, and other goods which are sold or distributed by weight, measure, or a number and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto.
Legal Metrology registration can be applied in 3 capacities:
- Model Approval
- Packaged Commodity Registration
- Import License
- Dealership License
- Stamping of products
Implementation and Jurisdiction
The Legal Metrology Act, 2009 was introduced under central jurisdiction as a model act, each state in India has a will to adopt the act with or without modifications. Some states in India have modified the act to regulate the issues and matters related to legal metrology.
Why Does Your Business Need Legal Metrology?
Some of the basic requirements to sell and distribute anything in Indian Market, as specified by Legal Metrology Act:
Every unit of weight or measure shall be in harmony with the legal metrology and measurement system based on the international system of units.
- Length shall be the meter
- Mass shall be the kilogram
- Time shall be the second and so on
- Every numeration shall be made in accordance with the decimal system.
A person shall quote a price, publish the advertisement, and indicate the quantity of the pre-packaged commodity as specified in the Act.
Every reference standard, secondary standard, and working standard shall be verified and stamped in such manner and after payment of such fee as may be prescribed.
Any transaction of goods, class of goods or undertakings shall be according to the weights, measure or number as stated in the act.
A product shall be packaged in specified standard quantities or number and bears thereon such declarations and particulars in such manner as may be prescribed.
As one of the renowned legal metrology weights & measurement consultants, we can help you comply with all the basic requirements and keep up with the complex ones as well.
Get in touch with our legal metrology experts
- Registration and License mentioned above except Registration under Rule 27 shall have certain validity period after expiry of certain period it should get renewed.
- It is central based registration, in other words if any entity having registration of one premise and also doing business from other place then it need not to get registered the other place of business also.
- After getting the registration the concerned entity will comply this law regarding the packaging of product and weights and measure instruments as directed in this Act and Rules thereon.