As the British rule in India was reaching its end, there was a need to establish a quality and standardization body in India. The Institution of Engineers (India) prepared the first draft of the Constitution of an Institution for the task of National Standards. This subsequently led to the Department of Industries and Supplies bringing out a memorandum on 3 September 1946, announcing the formulation of “Indian Standards Institution”. The Indian Standards Institution (ISI) came into being on the 06 January 1947.
The initial years of the organization concentrated on standardization activity to eventually provide benefits to the consumers. The Certification Marks Scheme under the Indian Standards Institution (Certification Marks) Act, 1952 was formally launched by ISI in 1955-56. The Act enabled the granting of licenses to manufacturers producing goods in accordance with Indian Standards and also imprinted the goods with an ISI mark.
The Bureau of Indian standards (BIS) came into existence with a wider scope and more power which included taking over the staff, assets, liabilities and functions of ISI. The change was prompted by the Government’s vision to bring about an eco-system for quality, more participation by consumers and consumer protection.
The Bureau is a Body Corporate which consists of 25 members representing both Central and State governments, Members of Parliament, industry, scientific and research institutions, consumer organizations and professional bodies; with Union Minister of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution as its President and with Minister of State for Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution as its Vice-President.